From 2009 to 2011: Setting up birding tours for Field Guides & Rockjumper.
21 - 12 - 2012
We have completed three years of scouting and selecting the best birding sites in the Andes of Colombia and it is time to look in retrospective: marvelous traveling experiences, rewarding moments with most amazing birds and, above all, the joy that comes with new friendships.
It all began with Agroecotur’s work supporting ecotourism and agritourism initiatives by private nature reserves throughout Colombia. Learning about tourism and the traveling industry was possible thanks to high quality training provided by Professor Ricardo Anzola from the Instituto Interamericano de Turismo (IIT) with the support of World Wildlife for Nature (WWF), The Nature Conservancy (TNC) and Agroecotur’s founder organizations: CIPAV, Fundación Horizonte Verde, Resnatur, El Hatico Nature Reserve & the Molina family from the Cauca Valley. During those years (2004-2011), Daniel Uribe was Agroecotur’s Executive Director and much traveling was done visiting private nature reserves in the Amazon, Chocó, Andes & the Orinoco Region, working with landowners and local communities.
In February 2009, Proexport organized the first familiarization trip for representatives of birding companies from the USA & UK, in a successful effort to present Colombia as a hospitable birding destination. Trip was attended by guides & representatives from Birdseekers, Avian Adventures, Birdwatching Breaks, Bird Watching Magazine, About-U-Travel, Field Guides, Sunrise Birding and Detour Lic. Localities visited included La Florida marsh in Bogotá, Chicaque Nature Reserve (Cundinamarca), La Romera Park (Sabaneta), El Almejal at Bahía Solano (Chocó), Río Blanco & Los Nevados, Otún-Quimbaya, Salamanca National Park (Barranquilla), Minca & El Dorado (Santa Marta Mountains). Carl Downing (Birding Colombia), Sergio Ocampo (Fundegar) and Daniel Uribe (Agroecotur) served as Colombian guides for that excursion.
Since then, the following tours for Field Guides and Rockjumper have taken place, building our current expertise and knowledge at Birding Tours Colombia as in-bound operators for birding excursions to Colombia:
- Field Guides scouting tour – October 17 to November 03, 2009. Visited La Romera Park (Sabaneta), Jardín (ProAves’s Yellow-eared Parrot Reserve & Morro Amarillo), Urrao (Proaves’s Colibrí del Sol), Anorí (ProAves’s Chestnut-capped Piha Reserve), Cañón de Río Claro (Puerto Berrío, Puerto Triunfo & Doradal area), Victoria Forest (Caldas), Río Blanco & Los Nevados, Los Alcázares Ecopark, Otún-Quimbaya, Cerro Montezuma, Paso Galápagos (El Cairo), Laguna de Sonso marsh (Buga) and montane forests at Chicoral, ending in Cali. Tour Leaders: Richard Webster and Rose Ann Rowlett (Field Guides), with Sergio Ocampo & Daniel Uribe as Colombian guides.
- Rockjumper Colombia II Andean Endemics – November 29 to December 17, 2010 (19 days), plus Santa Marta Mountains & La Guajira extension from November 25 to November 29 (5 days). Visited Chingaza National Park, Laguna de Pedro Palo, Cañón de Río Claro, Anorí, Jardín, Río Blanco, Los Nevados, Los Alcázares Ecopark, Otún-Quimbaya, Montezuma, Sonso marsh, Km El 18 (Old Road to Buenaventura) & Anchicayá. Extension sites: El Dorado, Riohacha, Los Flamencos, Tayrona National Park, Isla Salamanca. Tour Leader: David Shackelford, with Sergio Ocampo (main tour), Diana Balcázar (Bogotá area), Waly Naranjo & Daniel Uribe (Santa Marta extension).
- Field Guides tour “The Cauca Valley and the Western and Central Andes I” – January 15 to January 31, 2011. Tour Leader: Richard Webster, with Daniel Uribe.
- Rockjumper scouting tour – January 10 to January 18, 2011. Visited Chingaza, La Florida marsh, Enchanted Gardens at San Francisco, Laguna de Tabacal, La Victoria, Los Nevados, Río Blanco, Los Alcázares Ecopark, Otún-Quimbaya. With Adam Riley, Daniel Uribe, Sergio Ocampo and Diana Balcázar (Bogotá área).
- Rockjumper Colombia I Andean Endemics – January 18 to February 05, 2011 (19 days), plus Santa Marta Mountains & La Guajira extension from February 05 to February 09 (5 days). Tour Leader: Adam Riley, with Sergio Ocampo (main tour), Diana Balcázar (Bogotá area) & Waly Naranjo (extension).
- Rockjumper Colombia II Andean Endemics – October 30 to November 17, 2011 (19 days), plus Santa Marta Mountains & La Guajira extension from November 17 to November 21 (5 days). Tour Leader: Forrest Rowland, with Sergio Ocampo (main tour), Diana Balcázar (Bogotá area) & Waly Naranjo (extension).
A great thanks goes to Richard Webster and Adam Riley for inviting us to work with them and learn from their expertise. Also, we appreciate the companionship of many great birders that have traveled through both of these companies and whose friendship is most appreciated.
A Field Guides group birding “La M” above Carmen de Atrato in the Western Andes.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Birding & photographing birds along the Western Andes & Central Andes with Doug & Gail Cheeseman (April 22 – May 8, 2019).SEE MORE
Birding the Central & Western Andes with Anthony Kaduck & Ken Edwards from Canada (March 20 – April 5, 2019).SEE MORE
Birding trip for Happy Warblers from New York: the Central Andes & Cauca Valley, from Cali to Manizales (March 6 – 14, 2019).SEE MORE
Birding in Inírida, San José del Guaviare, San Cipriano & the Anchicayá Valley with Katy Krigbaum & Birgit Felser (Feb. 4 - 27, 2019).SEE MORE
Birding Mitú, Inírida & the Perijá Mountains for key species with Hans Jornvall from Sweden (January 5 - 23, 2019).SEE MORE
Second birding trip to Colombia for Ernest Bradley & Dale Brinker (November 19 – December 03, 2018).SEE MORE
Birding Colombia: an explosive extension into the Santa Marta Mountains, Guajira pensinsula & Perijá Mountains (October 18 – 27, 2018).SEE MORE
The Eastern Andes near Bogota: private birding tour for Tony Menart, Thomas Heatley & Dale Manor (October 9 – 18, 2018).SEE MORE
Birding Colombia through the Southeastern regions of Putumayo & Huila (January 14 – 24, 2018).SEE MORE
Birding Hato La Aurora in the Eastern Llanos with Todd Pepper & Mark Eaton (December 1 – 4, 2017).SEE MORE
Birding the Central & Western Andes of Colombia with Anthony Collerton (July 14 – 23, 2017).SEE MORE
Andean Endemics tour with British crew: from the Eastern Andes to the mid-Magdalena Valley & Central Andes of Colombia (March 1 – 14, 2017).SEE MORE
Another challenging & productive trip for Hans Jörnvall from Sweden (January 2 – 15, 2017).SEE MORE
The Eastern Andes from Bogota to Soata: birding trip for recordist Terry Morgan & Karen Walz (November 18-30, 2016).SEE MORE
Second birding trip for Katy Krigbaum & Birgit Felser: the Western & Central Andes of Colombia (September 1-20, 2016).SEE MORE
Birding for much desired targets with Keith Betton, Andrew Herbert (UK) and Rainer Kopa (Germany) (April 17-May 7, 2016).SEE MORE
Birding the Western & Central Andes with Richard & Jennifer Kershaw from UK (March 10-31, 2016).SEE MORE
Second birding trip for Steve Huggins & Glenn Giacinto from Chicago, Illinois (January 23 – February 2, 2016).SEE MORE
Birding along the Western & Central Andes of Colombia with Bob & Katie Self from the UK (November 9 – 26, 2015).SEE MORE
Birding in Colombia from the Western Andes to the Santa Marta Mountains & Guajira peninsula, with a recapitulation.SEE MORE
The Eastern Andes, mid-Magdalena Valley, Santa Marta Mountains & La Guajira peninsula with Katy Krigbaum & Birgit Felser (Sept. 2 – 21, 2015).SEE MORE
Bird photo tour for photographers from Taiwan & China: The Western & Central Andes of Colombia (July 18 – August 8, 2015).SEE MORE
Second birding trip for Debby Reynolds & David Copas (UK), and Jane Andrews (USA) (January 20 – February 6, 2015).SEE MORE
Short but productive bird photo trip for family group from Canada and Colombia (December 16-20, 2014).SEE MORE
Medium length birding trip through the Western & Central Andes of Colombia with Bruce Webb, Jeanne Conry & Peter Gent from USA (May 18 - 27, 2014).SEE MORE
Short birding escapade for James Taylor & Christine Forster from Victoria, British Columbia (Canada) (May 8-11, 2014).SEE MORE
Bird photography trip for Japanese photographers – Hisao komori & Yasunobu Shiga (April 26-May 4, 2014).SEE MORE
Birding the Eastern, Central & Western Andes with Andy & Gill Swash, Debby Reynolds & David Copas from UK (January 15 – February 5, 2014).SEE MORE
Birding the Central Andes of Colombia with Steven Huggins & Glenn Giacinto from Chicago, Illinois (January 3 – 13, 2014).SEE MORE
Bird photography trip to the Eastern Andes of Colombia for Juan José Arango & Anabel Vanin (July 31 - August 04, 2013).SEE MORE
Back to Colombia for a second time: Peter Hawrylyshyn & Bob Lewis search for more hummingbird species and bird specialties at new birding sites (February 15 – March 03, 2013).SEE MORE
Central Andes short tour with Happy Warblers touring company from New York (February 5 – 13, 2013).SEE MORE
More Andean endemics with magnificent birding crew from USA, UK & Canada (Dec. 28, 2012 to Jan. 5, 2013).SEE MORE
Touring for Central Andes Endemics: how good birding in Colombia can be (October 6 – 15, 2012).SEE MORE
Bird photography trip for Peter Hawrylyshyn, Bob & Hanno Lewis with emphasis on hummingbirds (August 22 – September 9, 2012).SEE MORE
Birding Otún-Quimbaya Wildlife Sanctuary for some bird images with Juan Jose Arango and Anabel Vanin (August 3 – 5, 2012).SEE MORE
Enjoying the Rio Blanco antpittas and Central Andes endemics with Eugenia Carey from Dauphin Island (July 5 – 12, 2012).SEE MORE
Promoting Colombia as a travel destination with British presenter & producer Nigel Marven (February 6 – 11, 2012).SEE MORE
Bogota Sunangel or not? The intriguing hummingbird at Rogitama Private Nature Reserve (2011).SEE MORE
Birding with Dominic Mitchell – Managing Editor of Birdwatch Magazine (UK) (November 27 – December 4, 2011).SEE MORE
Guiding and operating for Birding Adventures TV episodes in Colombia (November 27 – December 4, 2011).SEE MORE
Birding with Jonathan Levy and Mary Jane Thomas from Oregon, USA (January 31 – February 8, 2011).SEE MORE